Initially run Tcode SE06 which helps in setting up CTS.
System change option helps in defining whether Repository Objects and Client-independent customizing objects are globally Modifiable or Restricted for developers.
/Bin/ [contain TP profile (TP_DOMAIN.PFL) and DOMAIN Configuration File (DOMAIN.CFG)]
/data/ [contain transported data with naming RD9<5-digit serial>]
/cofiles/[info about different steps to be preformed for a change request
(File naming convention) KD9<5-digit serial>.]
/buffer/ [Contains control info on which transports are to be imported into which R/3 Systems and order of the imports]
/log/ [contain Contains transport logs, trace files]
/SAPnames/ [Contains information for SAP users involved in change request creation]
/tmp/ [Contains temporary files]
/EPS/ [used while applying support packages]
Transport Control Program TP:
It’s a Utility that helps in controlling transport between SAP systems and for Upgrading SAP releases. TP uses some special programs that involve in performing complete transports.
TP tool is called by other programs like
TMS Transport Profile (TPPARAM, TP_.PFL):
Transport profile is global parameter file for program “tp” and administrated by Transport Management System (TMS). Located in “usr/sap/trans/bin/.” Directory, Profile naming convention “TP_.PFL” where is name of the Transport Domain configured in TMS.
Transport Profile Contains the below information:
- Database info of various R/3 systems in a Transport Domain under same Transport Group.
- Parameters that describe frequency of transport.
- Additional info for system maintenance.
Transport profile contains various parameters related to
- Global (for all SAP systems in network)
- Local (only for single SAP system)
- Operating System Dependent
- If parameter values are not specified, then SAP uses the default value. Global parameters override defaults. Local parameters override global parameters.
General TP file contain following info:
/DBHOST: central DB host
/DBNAME: your system SID
/DBTYPE: DB type
SAP transport program R3trans is used for transporting data between SAP systems and for migration between diff SAP releases.
R3trans is called by other programs
-Direct use of R3trans is only required in exceptional cases, E.g: exporting and importing large clients via direct use of R3trans.
Setting Up Transport Management System (TMS):
- Run STMS in client 000 with user having authorization “S_CTS_ADMIN”. If this is first time you run STMS then it will prompt you with a screen asking to creates new domain with naming convention DOMAIN_. Enter the above asked details.
- After saving the details, below mentioned action are automatically performed in SAP system
- User TMSADM is created.
- RFC destinations required for TMS communication are generated
- TMS configuration is stored in transport directory
- Transport profile for transport control program tp is generated.
- Once Configuration of transport domain is completed for this SAP system. Initial screen of tcode- STMS shows that the system is configured to work as domain controller of the transport domain.
- To transport the developed change requests from one system to another, you have to specify a system that is to be added in th DC, so that change requests can be moved to newly added system for testing the developments. After adding the new system in DC later create transport routes between Newly Created System and Actual System (doamin controller). To do so navigate to Overview->Systems, from STMS main screen,
- Example for adding system in transport domain: Creating a virtual system (in case of single system) from systems overview screen navigate to "SAP systems->create-> Virtual System". Now we can see both the systems in systems overview screen.
- Creating Transport Routes via Environment -> Transport Routes.
- Transport Routes will allow us to create Transport path between systems. Systems without Transport Route will not be able to export transport requests.
- Example: if you setup transport route from DEV System to PRD System, you can be sure that only request can be moved from "DEV->PRD" but not from "PRD->DEV", that is DEV System can export transport request and exports from PRD System is impossible.
- There are two ways to setup Transport Routes:
- Hierarchical List Editor
- Graphical Editor
- To create transport route turn to Edit Mode. Drag all the required system into the below graphical area and based on number of systems avaliable, you can choose standard configuration from menu "config->Standard Config->DEV and PRD System or DEV,QAS, and PRD Systems.
- which prompts you to provide SID's of "DEV,QAS,PRD" systems. Once after providing above entries click on SAVE. automatically Transport layers “Z” and “SAP” will be created by system.
- And we need to distribute and activate configuration by accepting the below poop-up screen